What Is Non-Verbatim Transcription?
Non-verbatim transcription is a method of transcribing audio or video recordings to written text. This type of transcription is often used for creating transcripts of speeches, interviews, podcasts, or other audio-visual content. Unlike verbatim transcription, which is a literal transcription of every word and sound in a recording, non-verbatim transcription is more flexible and allows for some editorial discretion.
How Is Non-Verbatim Transcription Different From Verbatim Transcription?
Verbatim transcription is a type of transcription that captures every word and sound in a recording, including all pauses, stutters, and mispronunciations. This type of transcription is used for legal or medical purposes, or for accurate records of a conversation. Non-verbatim transcription, on the other hand, is more flexible and allows for some editorial discretion. It captures the essential meaning of a recording while still maintaining accuracy.
Benefits of Non-Verbatim Transcription
Non-verbatim transcription is a great tool for creating transcripts of audio-visual content quickly and easily. It can help to create a more readable and accurate transcript that is easier to understand. Non-verbatim transcripts also help to keep the audio-visual content organized and easier to find. Here are some of the main benefits of non-verbatim transcription:
- It is less time-consuming than verbatim transcription.
- It is more cost-effective than verbatim transcription.
- It is more accurate than verbatim transcription.
- It is easier to read and understand than verbatim transcription.
- It helps to keep audio-visual content organized.
Tips for Non-Verbatim Transcription
Non-verbatim transcription can be challenging, but there are some tips that can make the process easier. Here are some tips for creating an accurate non-verbatim transcription:
- Listen to the recording multiple times to make sure that you capture all of the essential information.
- Take notes while you listen to keep track of key points.
- Proofread the transcription to ensure accuracy.
- Use a transcript template to keep track of the speakers and their speaking order.
- Use formatting to make the transcript more readable.
Tools for Non-Verbatim Transcription
There are many tools available to help make the non-verbatim transcription process easier. Here are some of the top tools for non-verbatim transcription:
- Temi is an AI-powered transcription tool that can help you quickly and easily create accurate transcripts from audio or video recordings.
- Otter is an AI-powered transcription tool that can help you create transcripts in minutes.
- Trint is an AI-powered transcription tool that can help you quickly and easily create accurate transcripts.
Non-verbatim transcription is a great way to quickly and easily create transcripts of audio or video recordings. It is more cost-effective and accurate than verbatim transcription and helps to keep audio-visual content organized. There are many tools available to make the process easier, and following some basic tips can help to create an accurate non-verbatim transcription.